bliss

bliss

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Jet lag

Wednesday Evan and I spent a total of about 19 hours on planes and in airports flying back from England. We spent 13 days traveling mostly in London and various parts of Cornwall and a little bit of Kent. It was amazing to say the least and I started hearing British English in my dreams. I was not playing narrator in my dreams, however, it was the other voices in my head that started dropping their R's, exclaiming "Brilliant!", and ending their otherwise declarative sentences with little queries like "isn't it?"

Here's an example: "It's easier to just ring the bloke than surprise him, isn't it?." This is to be uttered as a statement rather than a question.

So I guess that still makes the sentence interrogative, doesn't it?

Or not. Maybe it's declarative and interrogative simultaneously. Or still just declarative depending on the intonation of the speaker.

Maybe this is the kind of debate that very few people actually even care about. Just me and my dorky friends who all belong to the Students, Champions, and Guardians of the English Language and Other Tedium Club.

This is an unofficial membership, of course.

I'll post pictures of England and other events I have yet to post in the coming while.

Cheers!

3 comments:

Karie said...

I am completely envious. Can't wait to see the pictures!

Kami R said...

Don't keep us waiting for those pictures too long! I want to live vicariously through you (since I'm not about to spend 19 hours on a place), but need a visual picture.

Si said...

I had no idea you went to my homeland of Kent. It was good meeting you guys. I must say though I am a little perplexed on the 'Isn't it' comment. I do not recall hearing that. Maybe it is something I have got used to am blissfully unaware of.
Shame about the long hours hmoe though, I hope it is only 14 hours max when we trek over.