bliss

bliss

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Spring Breakin' Stay-cation

With Evan busy beyond what is reasonable right now, we decided that staying home this spring break was wise.  We have tried to fill the week with park trips, zoo trips, play dates and general silliness.

To kick off the break, we saw Childsplay's version of The Cat in the Hat last weekend.
It was really well done and the kids were cracking up. I kept stealing peeks at the their faces during the show and I almost had more fun watching their giggles and wide-eyed laughs than I did actually watching the play.




The lemonade stand...or the "lemanade" stand...as each child kept spelling it.  

This was seriously two days ago.  AND these boys made $35 in two hours.  The lemonade was made from real lemons that they squeezed, diluted and sugared with Evan's help (he came home early and surprised us with a few precious hours of daddy time).  It was quite tasty and a few people just donated money because they thought it was such a great idea--or they thought the kids were cute.

It was a great business lesson as Evan discussed with them all sorts of marketing strategies, profit negotiations, cost of supplies and other such tidbits.  



And a whole new world just opened up for Dylan.

Yesterday we went to lunch at In and Out Burger as a final hurrah to our spring break stay-cation and on the way there we passed by a Jack in the Box.  Dylan and Simon both said, "Yuck! I hate the hamburgers there."  (I guess they ate there once with Evan after a guys day out and weren't exactly pleased.)  Dylan said, "Mom, there are only three people in eating there. I don't think anybody likes Jack in the Box that much around here."

And then when we went to In and Out Burger which, I suspect, was crowded beyond what the fire marshal would approve, Dylan furthered his observations. He said, "Mom, people like this place.  Look how crowded it is, and the drive through line is soooo long."  I asked him what he thought the difference was and did he think it was the location.  He thought for a minute and said, "No.  It's the food.  These hamburgers just taste better.  And they are healthier, too.  If Jack in the Box had hamburgers like these, people would like them better."  

I think we may have some budding business sense in this child.

He's already making plans for an orange juice stand as we are now out of lemons.

No comments: