Since August of last year, Amelia has been taking a dance class at Tempe Dance Academy. Her class consisted of a tap, ballet, and tumbling combination. Initially, she was ecstatic about the class, mostly because of the cool shoes and outfits she wore (hmm--funny--this is the same reason she wanted to play soccer). But then, even though she took the class with two of her good buds Holland and Charity, she decided that she wasn't so crazy about dance. Her teacher Ms. Wendy was very patient, but on a couple of occasions, Amelia was actually sent out of class because she refused to cooperate.
There's that independence rearing its head again.
Gradually, as seems to always be the case with our princess, she conceded, and Amelia learned her dance for the show. It was a tap dance to the song "Five Foot Two." Their costumes, as you'll see, looked a bit like that of the wild west bar maids, complete with rhinestone heart choker and a feather head piece.
There's that independence rearing its head again.
Gradually, as seems to always be the case with our princess, she conceded, and Amelia learned her dance for the show. It was a tap dance to the song "Five Foot Two." Their costumes, as you'll see, looked a bit like that of the wild west bar maids, complete with rhinestone heart choker and a feather head piece.
Amelia and her Grandma Phillis were waiting for her turn to go on stage at the dress rehearsal. Grandpa Ed took the photos and brought a camera to record the dance. Grandma Brenda was still in Ohio with Lee and Katherine helping them move, so she was grateful for the video. (I'm having trouble uploading the video--go figure--but as soon as I figure it out I'll share it!)

Here's the bar maid costume at the recital!
A happy and very calm Amelia waiting back stage before the performance.
That costume was a huge carrot. Forever, Amelia wouldn't work on her dance at home saying, "It's for dance class, Mom, not for home." But then came the costume. Ms. Wendy recorded the music and Amelia finally practiced at home when she felt so inclined.
The day of dress rehearsal I was a little stressed imagining my independent little bar maid folding her arms when the music began, screaming, "No!" and stomping off stage. However, I totally underestimated Amelia. She lead the class to their spots on stage, moved into her first pose for the dance and didn't miss a beat.
(Well, she did every step in the correct sequence; the girls are only five, so they aren't always right on with the music.)
Evan and I were so pleased and so relieved! I should never underestimate my Amelia, I suppose.
But I do need to be prepared for anything.
Dylan with a pacifying sucker in his mouth sitting with Grandpa Duane watching the performances. What must Dylan be thinking about all lights, tutus, music, and glitter?


1 comment:
Did you guys record it? you know you can post it with various programs on the blog if it is a digital recording. That would be fun to see, I am sure Kassie would love it.
Lee
Post a Comment