bliss

bliss

Monday, October 1, 2012

Gutter Days

On a relatively recent September morning, Simon and I returned from dropping off Amelia and Dylan at school.  It happened to be a rainy morning and I didn't close the garage immediately after we pulled in, so Simon, still clad in his pajamas (complete with sagging diaper from the night before) decided it was a good time to play in the gutter.


(I should probably mention that I was likewise still dressed in my pajamas, but I think the school personnel as well as my neighbors have grown accustomed to seeing me in plaid pajama bottoms and a t-shirt well into the morning. I drop the kids off, pull in the recycle bin, wash my windows and water the plants all in pajamas.  And of course this is all in my front yard.  I usually try to make it a point to shower and change by the time I pick the kids up in the afternoon.  I mean, what kind of slob do you think I am?)

It wasn't quite as humid that morning as it often is after monsoon rain, so I decided that since it wasn't likely that I'd sweat through every layer I was wearing in 30 seconds, I would tolerate standing out front with my two-year-old who needed to explore the gutter.


The abundance of rain this year has increased the mosquito population like crazy.  Simon's left leg in the above picture is polka dotted with swollen bites.  We are all polka dotted, in fact, despite my attempted vigilance at spraying down every kid before they leave the house. 

Mosquitoes or not, Simon thought the splashing and running was worth the risk.





And it took a good twenty minutes to sweat through every layer.  Ample time for gutter play, I say.

No comments: